Thursday 31 October 2013

Interviews John R Walker by DJ Forrest


Work as an Extra on Who & Torchwood

Have you ever wondered what it was like to be on set of Torchwood or Doctor Who, or to play a character in the background of an impressive set, which would be seen by millions of people every week? Well John R Walker is one of those lucky people who worked as an Extra on the set of Doctor Who & Torchwood and many other shows in between.  He’s been up close to both John Barrowman AND David Tennant’s characters on set of both shows, and we had the opportunity of finding out a little bit more about the impressive career of an Extra – ordinary bloke!

You’ve got quite an impressive IMDB credit list, not just as an extra but also as associate producer and first assistant director.  How did it all start, what was the first production you became involved in and what is it about being in front of and behind the camera that appeals to you the most?

John: Well my first role as an extra was on a straight to video production called “Auton 2” directed by Nick Briggs! I have always been a Doctor Who fan and the show was long finished and I expected it to never come back so when Bill Baggs advertised in SFX for extras to be in his new production I couldn't say no. This was my one chance to be a part of Who. This was back in 1998 and from there I joined a local agency.

It was different back then as there wasn't any internet like there is today and information was a lot harder to come by. Luckily someone knew of a local agency and gave me the contact telephone number.

In my real life I worked for Retail Operations at Head office for Safeway and had made a few training videos for the stores so when we got taken over by Morrisons I became Head of Internal Corporate films for that company so that's how I got into the production side of things.

I took voluntary redundancy in 2008 and was approached by Tony Jopia who was making a TV pilot for CITV called “Spooked
I had initially been asked to play a small role in it but as I was jobless Tony offered me production Design. I had no idea what I was doing and it was a massive learning curve for me.

I then went on to 1st AD several short films and finally my first feature “Deadtime
Again Tony had given me the opportunity to do something and this time I did a much better job. I still learnt so much off him.
From doing that job I was recommended by someone to 1st AD an Indian Film called “Argen and Alison” and so on and so forth.

You’ve appeared in several episodes of Doctor Who what was it like being on set with David Tennant, Billie Piper and Freema Agyeman, and were you also on set with Catherine Tate?

John: Okay, I'll start with Billie. She was always polite and spoke to everyone and I used to see her on set quite a lot on "Lewis" but I've never really chatted with her apart from polite Hellos and the odd line but I was so excited when I first saw her on set. (What am I saying?, I still get excited when ever I see her)

David was lovely. He is such a funny man and so nice to us extras. What was weird is that when I first saw him playing the Doctor in real life before he'd been the Doctor on TV, I actually didn't like him. We'd just got Who back and Eccleston had done such an amazing job of playing the role for a 21st Century audience so I was still a little miffed he'd gone!
David has gone on to become one of my favourite Who’s (along with Patrick Troughton and Sylvester McCoy) but I've been lucky enough to chat to him lots on set and he's happy to talk about the show.

Freema and I spoke lots on the set of "Daleks in Manhattan" and again she'd yet to be on TV so was very down to Earth.

I'd done a show called "On the Home Front" for one of the History channels and we talked about that. I sent her a copy and to my amazement she not only watched it but when she met my partner (who was also in Home front) she remembered her name!

Freema still makes the effort to speak when I see her. I did several "Law and Order" episodes and bumped into her many times and she's so down to earth and lovely. (new series best companion is either her or Billie, though I don't know and I'm not sure if I loved her as Martha or simply love her as Freema!)

Now Catherine was nothing like I expected her to be like. I did "Planet of the Ood" with her and spent 2 months on "Gulliver’s Travels" with her. She's very shy and quiet on set. Some extras mistook this as rude but she's not by any means. If you make the effort to speak to her, she'll always be polite and nice but she's quiet on set with everyone until the cameras start rolling.

I'm a massive fan of her own show. I would have loved to have been on that but I did Who with her so please don't think I'm moaning...I'm just greedy.

I like to think I can keep a straight face through most things but there was this one scene in "Ood" that she was talking to Paul Kasey in an Ood costume and she says something like" What makes you think I'm a miss, do I look like a miss?" and I laughed all through the rehearsal!      
 
How many different episodes were you involved in for Doctor Who?

John: I did The Christmas Invasion, New Earth, Shakespeare Code, Daleks in Manhattan, Evolution of the Daleks, Planet of the Ood, Turn Left and Closing Time.

You were a body double for James Marsters, dressed in his military clothes and facing Captain Jack Harkness, how long did that scene take to do?

John: That scene took about 4 hours I would say at a guess. It was the reverse of James Marsters and I had to watch the original footage over and over to get all the movements to match.
I was there a lot longer than that though as I had to wait a while for another scene to be completed and Make-up did my face and hair but left my beard on, I was taken to the director who liked the fact my cheek structure was close enough that he could cheat me around toward camera little more so I had to go back and lose the beard. Costume put me in full uniform and props gave me all the weapons and the belt and everything simply for what ended up being the back of my head and my cheek.

There were Sontarans running around on the base. That was cool! (They shared the base with Who)

On Random Shoes you played Eugene’s dead self on the side of the road in the grass verge, I’m imagining that that was probably shot a few times, I hope the grass wasn’t too wet?

John: The grass was VERY wet added to the fact I had blood poured into my ear many times!
That was a fantastic experience. I spent a good few days on this episode but on that particular day (Director) James let me find my own position to be comfortable with and the earlier parts of the scene was filmed later (The accident itself) though I remember initially he wanted me facing the river but due to the angles they couldn't get away from the fact I wasn't Paul Chequer. It was a long day of lying in the grass and it started to pour down that day.

Also, a pointless fact was that they had the paint under my nails to say what colour the car was that hit me but it was changed at a later scene (filmed earlier) so 2 colours were used and JB did the scene with either colour. I guess they hadn't decided on the stunt car colour at that time.  

You were involved in Children of Earth, whereabouts were you in that series, and the hospital at the end of Miracle Day?

John: Children of Earth. We're (about 5 of us) in a tiny office tracking Captain Jack. We're in the background (Well we are extras) talking about Tractors and wondering why our High Tech office has so many tractor photos in it! A couple of the other extras in that scene are regular Monsters in the show.

Miracle Day. I'm wearing my own black flat cap and outside the hospital in Wales. Blink and you'll miss both but I didn't mind as I had been a double in the first 2 series so it was great to finally be an extra in the 3rd and 4th.

I was asked to come back for another scene but got cancelled. This happens a few times on lots of shows but it really breaks my heart when it's Who related (and it did when I lost Fast and Furious 6)
I had been asked once to have my head shaved for the bar scene in DT's last episode as a "Whitey" but I got "Postponed". I'm still waiting for that call back.

I had to turn down being in 2 of the specials due to other work commitments.

Do you think having a nondescript face that you’re more likely to land roles than having a face people will recognise?

John: Okay, I'm quoted as saying I have a nondescript face but then I seem to contradict myself when I say I tend to get a lot of "Slimy" roles due to my large forehead and slitty eyes! My feature roles are always as bad people. (My current role in a BBC production-"Not Doctor Who" is as a KGB agent. 
So back to you question. I don't think it matters as long as you are professional at all times on set. Extras aren't really noticed in many shows. it's only show we watch over and over again that we get noticed..usually the Science Fiction market.

Landing parts in Doctor Who and then turning up for work back on the meat counter in Tesco’s, what do your work colleague’s think to your other life?

John: The whole Meat Counter thing was a sales pitch for my book. It sort of worked as I got some serious press (Simply google the word TV EXTRA and see who's the first person’s name you see) but I got all the press and my book got none (Now look up Dave Gorman and my name to see what he said about this)

I was Head-office Safeway and Morrisons with a VERY understanding boss and then when I left I had planned to make corporates for a living but I just kept being offered TV Extra work and it just came and came so I ended up working 6-7 days a week as an extra for 4 years straight.

I gave up Extra work to work more seriously on projects and now I'm getting a few acting roles and this is really challenging me and again I have contradicted myself as I have always said Extras shouldn’t try to act.

To fund this I have taken a job as Counters Managers at a Tesco Extra store in Dudley so I haven't really done much that the staff would see me on TV much. They know I used to do it and a few spot me in old shows on TV but no one really says much to me about it.
I think they're all scared I'll try and sell them my books!  

How far have you travelled to appear in productions?

John: Beside the cheeky day I did the Disney film "Enchanted" as I was already in New York with my friends?
I based myself in London and Dudley but travelled somewhere every day. I worked from York to Cardiff, Dover, Bournemouth and the like so some days did easily over 300 mile round trips. Some jobs never even paid well but I never said no. As long as I was free I would do the first job I was booked on and never cancel a job for better one as that's why the work kept coming and coming.
There are very few real full Time extras but I would see them from town to town.

Fuel was the biggest cost of the job.

From being an Extra to now turning up on set as an actor, how much of a difference is it for you and do you miss being an Extra?

John: I have still secretly done the odd extra job every now and again and I have started to love it again.
 I had got to a point where I was starting to hate being an extra.
 It was so depressing sometimes as I'd travel 170 miles to simply walk in the background of some show and all shows were becoming very much alike but it had become my living and I had gone from being The Head of corporate films for one of the UK’s biggest Retail companies to walking around to be a bit of movement and that had now become my job. It was what defined me. A 40 year old EXTRA.

Whereas now just being on set is fun as I don't need the money anymore and I'm enjoying it again.

It's something to do on my day off if I haven't an acting role to learn. Currently I have just landed a nice little role in a horror Short so this week I'll be learning those lines and because of the other BBC job the chances are I won't do any more extra work until after Christmas.
Plus I won't travel for it any more or take time off work specifically. It's going to take a lot of will power to not actively try and get on Star Wars next year.

I have so contradicted myself again! I'm sure I just wrote not to do extra work and acting work but it's no harm on a day off and no matter what I ever do now, I'll always be known as John the Extra. I didn't help myself by writing about it!.
So in answer to your question, I miss it when I'm not on a set somewhere and that's why I haven't completely let it go but I don't miss the job itself and it's so very different now. I can take photos on set , crew know my name, and there's a little more respect but just this week I saw some extras I know and refused a costume coat to keep warm as I was worried what they would think of me. Is that weird? I still sit on the bus until I'm told I can go to my trailer but I think that's 15 years of conditioning.

I always thought that landing roles in Doctor Who was very much a closed set, it was difficult to just walk into a role, how did the work come about and from being in Doctor Who was it then easier for taking roles in Torchwood?


John: I was already with the agency that did Doctor Who, I called them and asked if I could be in the show. They said yes. It was that simple.

I think it's not quite so easy now, I think the more I went on about it, the more they didn't want to give it me. I'm not sure if this is the agency or the production company but I've had my fair share. I couldn't have asked for more. I got my close up, I got to speak my one word, I had a trading card of me and I got to see it being made. I was there and that can never be taken away from me.

There are so many people with far more exciting stories and who've been on the show many many more times than me but those are their stories and these are mine of which I am so delighted.

You can be out in all temperatures or inside a building playing a scene what has been the worst experience as an Extra on the set of any production, such as the weather hampering production, long hours, working through soaked to the skin, unable to work your fingers because it’s so cold?

John: The AA commercial in the Peak District back about 8 years ago. It was the worst job ever and to this day has never been beaten.
I have had many cold and wet days on set but nothing beats that one.

Even the day we did the shower scene on “New Earth” was a cold one. The water was so cold and the studio freezing and I started to turn blue. The crew were great and looked after us though.

It must have rained everyday on the film “Crying wolf” and most scenes were external but we just had to get on with it and the writer ended up being called in to change some scenes to internal to protect the cast and crew a little.

Oh and Captain America. The fake rain was so heavy. TV rain isn't like real rain as it needs to be heavier drops to be seen by the camera so we were soaked to the skin but lunch time I simply stripped put a towel on whist the costume department tried to dry our clothes. Man I couldn't stop shaking. My mouth actually hurt from shivering so much.

Oh and finally the other one that springs to mind was a night shoot on “Daleks in Manhattan” where Hugh Quarshie is telling us that Frank is gone. That was very wet and jolly cold.

I got sent off “Bone kickers for being a shivering corpse!  There are too many wet and cold days to mention. But on the other hand we've had some brilliant hot and fun days out in the sunshine.

Have you always wanted to be an actor/Extra or did you have other yearnings?

John: I never wanted to be an extra. I wanted to be a film director. I'll make my own horror feature one day. Anyone in the Dudley area who wants to produce a low budget horror flick, get in touch!

What has been your favourite production to date?

John: DOCTOR WHO. I love the whole franchise. Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane.
Also I loved doing Holby each week. It's nothing exciting but I just enjoyed that and some random shows were just so much fun because of who we had on set. Some extras are brilliant fun to be with. My girlfriend and I spent a few years on Midsomer Murders together and we loved doing that. I don't think anyone really saw us as we're in the giant condom SOCO outfits complete with masks. (Only extras need to wear masks at murders, not actors as we wouldn't see their faces!)
We loved doing Scott and Bailey (First 2 seasons) and that was because the work looked after my girlfriend and I through Christmas (A quiet TV time generally) and we got on with all the cast, crew and extras.

You’re currently involved in three productions can you tell us anything about them?

John: Crying Wolf and Cute Little Buggers are 2 horror black comedies that have been my biggest acting roles to date.
Both directed by Tony Jopia and Crying wolf should be out next June (14) with CLB the following year.
Also I worked on a very low budget film called Valley of the Demon. I loved the script, the director, the crew and everything about what this small production company stood for and they're filming making process.
Although I have a small role in this, my main job is as Associate Producer and I am there to help promote and sell the project. I love those guys so much and it was all self funded by people who care about the project with a passion.

Also, what is not widely known as it's not on the internet yet is I've been working as 1st AD on a Midlands based film for 5 months. Again, people who make films because they're so passionate about the end product. I can't really say much more until the director is ready to go public with it but do look out for “Crying wolf”,”CLB” and “Valley of the Demon” I think they all have a Facebook page for updates.




You’ve currently written two books about your time as an Extra, can you tell us more about them?

John: I'm cheating a little by saying it's 2 books. I wrote “Extra Time” and tried to sell it. No one wanted it as they all said people are not interested in stories about Extras.

So I self published and got such fantastic press that people have since been in touch and want it. Too late. It's mine.
I understand I made a few spelling errors though so please excuse them. I did rush it out last minute and that's the down side of self publishing!
I have recently had someone ask me if they can do a project based on the book. (I can't say more as today was our first meeting so I'm in 2 minds but more info as I get it)
The book is simply some adventures on set from when I started to about the end of 2010 and it’s from the point of view of a Sci Fi fan. It contains (Nearly) all my Doctor who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane stories.

But the other book “Stories from a Doctor Who TV Extra” are all the Who related stories re written with added memories and a serious spell check! I released this really cheap as a Kindle only but was asked to do it as book form too so I did. (Both available on Amazon or you can get “Extra Time” from me direct as I'll be at the “Scardiff” horror convention at the end of October) 

Extra Time Second edition will be out in January 2014 and Extra Time 2 (I'll think of a more original name at some point) will be out mid next year.

When you were on set of a production you fell in love with one of the cast, how often does that happen, what set was that and do you still work in the same productions or does her work take her further afield?

John: I try not to fall in love with members of the cast very often. We spent a lot of time on set together. Some weeks we would be in the hotel, on set and spend 24 hours a day together but now she spends most her time as a TV Chaperone and so we don't really go to the same productions.

Thank you again for the interview John





Photo source


BBC Doctor Who & Torchwood

Pics taken from:

Doctor Who
Christmas Invasion
New Earth
Shakespeare Code
Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks
Turn Left
Planet of the Ood

Torchwood

Exit Wounds
Random Shoes
Miracle Day

Although John has appeared in Sarah Jane Adventures – The Temptation of Sarah Jane Smith and Doctor Who – Closing Time, Project: Torchwood wasn't able to locate him due to not possessing the DVD's.



No comments:

Post a Comment