Thursday 31 October 2013

Interviews Maxine Evans by DJ Forrest



She came onto our screens as the cannibal woman with the shotgun in the episode ‘Countrycide’.  Still performing as an actress, appearing in the series ‘Stella’, Maxine also works behind the camera, as both writer and director for her own projects.  We caught up with Maxine, who loves our website and has contributed to the front cover with her own pumpkin design, (diolch yn fawr), to find out more about her character Helen Sherman, Stella, about the lovely Owen Teale, oh and baking!

Helen Sherman was a really nasty character, quite handy with a butt of a gun! Were you given much of a background to this character and how did you ‘get’ into character for her?



Helen: Did I enjoy playing Helen Sherman? I relished it!!  She’s been one of my all time favourite roles. It’s not often a 30 something woman (That’s what I was at the time) with motherly hips (over weight!) gets asked to play a baddie, so I grabbed her with both hands. It’s odd you know, you can’t think ‘I have to make her a baddie’. You have to open them up and step inside and work out what her needs and wants, joys and sadness, motives and methods are. It’s what they want and what they’ll do to get it that makes a character bad or good. You can kill to defend yourself or others. Eat another human being to survive. But when you do those things for pleasure? That’s where you get your baddie. I LOVE baking biscuits. She LOVES eating people.

So the ‘feast’ happens only every ten years. The thrill must be incredible. Also, she’s taking part in that ‘feast’ with those that she loves, especially her husband, played by the wonderful Owen Teale. This was the relationship most visible on screen between of all the villagers. But what’s their relationship like? They kiss. So it’s a sexually fuelled ‘feast’. Adrenalin filled, with their lives at risk. So the passion between them was something that I used to find the woman, not the cannibal. She loves her husband and does anything to please him. They are very much in this together. But I figured that she derived as much pleasure from the ‘feast’ as he did. And there is always something more disturbing when a woman commits an act of atrocity, don’t ask me why. In the story the audience needed to see Helen as a victim at first. Wearing a mask if you like. I think that’s why the casting was quite clever. This, poor bedraggled women holding a gun couldn’t possibly be the ‘bad guy’. Could she?

Switching from victim to predator in the blink of an eye was great fun. I didn’t quite know I had it in me. My mother-in-law wouldn’t sit on her own with me for months after she saw the Countrycide Episode !! She said there was something in my eyes that didn’t look like me at all. I think what she’d picked up on was the fact that Owen and I had a dead, soulless look in our eyes.
 Most psychopaths (and lets face it, that’s what they were), are incapable of making a connection with their victims, that’s why they are able to do what they do. So I made sure that was something I brought to the scene with the Torchwood members. Owen and I almost played with our food! And found their cries amusing. Void of compassion, I think that’s what was the most frightening.

Had you auditioned for any other roles before Helen, in Torchwood?

Helen: I previously auditioned to play mum in an earlier episode. (I can’t remember the episode – Sorry. But I’m sure you’ll know which one I mean).

Although she was a nasty character, what did you LIKE about Helen?

Helen: What did I like about Helen? She wasn’t house proud!! So I liked the fact that she didn’t care what the place looked like before the guests arrived!! And she could make a mean sandwich!

Have you played any other characters like Helen since?



Helen: Since? No. Not unless you count my character in Stella (Sky 1). She’s not particularly house proud!! I don’t think she owns a bar of soap. But before Helen I played a female Renfield in a stage adaptation of ‘Dracula’ at the Theatre Royal in York and loved it!! Dracula is one of my favourite gothic horrors so it was a thrill to be a part of a wonderful adaptation directed by John Doyle

What was it like working alongside Owen Teale? 

Helen: Working with Owen Teale was an absolute joy. The man is so generous, warm and kind. By the time we’d finished filming I felt like I’d known him all my life. At the time of the filming, playing his wife, I didn’t find him frightening at all. Watching it back was another story. I’m very pleased to say we are still very good friends and in fact I’ve just taken his new headshots!

Eve Myles has worked alongside Owen Teale in another programme, ‘Belonging’, have you ever worked alongside any of the other Torchwood cast in another programme at all?

Helen: I’ve had the pleasure to work with both Eve and Owen on other projects. Eve and I worked on a HTV Wales series, ‘Nuts and Bolts’, although she was on screen and I was directing, writing and storylining the show. I’ve always been a huge fan of Eve and was thrilled to bits when I saw that she was the female lead in Torchwood. I’ve not had the opportunity to work with Eve as a fellow actor. Who knows, one day.
Owen and I worked together on Stella, series 1 and 2 and had the best time ever!! Although never on set at the same time the laughs we had with the rest of the cast at the hotel in Cardiff will stay with me forever. Great times.
Claire Pritchard Jones, a wonderful make-up artist, created Helen’s look for me in Torchwood and that of Rhian in Stella. Her attention to detail, the way she helps create the look of the characters is such a crucial part, for me, of how I then see that character and fundamentally how I play them.

You played a character called Beryl Barr in Eastenders (18 May 2012) what was her role in the story, as I watched a brief clip but couldn’t see you?

Helen: Beryl Barr was the Sonographer conducting Janine’s scan! Honestly, blink and you’d miss me!

You’ve featured in some very well known shows before and after Torchwood, from London’s Burning, The Bill, Holby and Casualty, and now Stella? What has been the highlight of your career so far?



Helen: I’d have to say it’s a tie between Torchwood and Stella. And that’s because of the fans! They are so amazing. Torchwood fans are so loyal. You know they’ll be there for you in everything else you do. And that’s something very special.

You’re a fan of Halloween, how do you celebrate it?

Helen: I love Halloween! At some point during the week leading up to Halloween I have to watch ‘Carry On Screaming” and “Nightmare Before Christmas”. I’ve just bought 2 pumpkins. One to eat (Simon Hopkinson has an amazing recipe I’m dying to try from his book ‘The Vegetarian Option’ – I’m not a vegetarian by the way) and the other to carve!! I buy huge quantities of treats and then spend the entire evening watching scary films and answering the door to anything aged between 2 and 17 wearing a costume and shouting “TRICK OR TREAT”. Last year I downloaded an app that had scary sounds so I could frighten the kids before opening the door! Next year I might dress up!!


Are you from an acting family, and if you have children, do they want to follow in your footsteps?

Helen: No I’m not from an acting family. My dad was a miner and then factory worker and my mum worked in the munitions factory in Swansea during the war and then, like my dad, worked in a factory the rest of her days. I have no children. But my Staffordshire Bull-Terrier dog Fletcher wants to be an actor and my bitch Ripley wants to be his manager. We’ll see.

You play Rhian in Stella, can you tell us more about the character – for those of us who haven’t seen the programme?

Helen: Stella is an hour-long comedy drama on Sky 1. We’ve just finished filming Series 3, which will be out in Jan 2014. Rhian Evans, my character, is a warm hearted, doesn’t give a hoot what others think, grandmother of many, loud-mouthed kinda gal!! It’s been a while since she had a bath and her dental hygiene leaves a lot to be desired too but she has a heart of gold. However she has no filter between her brain and her huge mouth. She thinks it and it’s out there. She tips up in almost every episode and makes us laugh. Her catch phrase is ‘Cocking’. And she do ‘love avin a cocking laugh’. And I love her to bits.

What’s your favourite horror movie and who is your favourite horror character?

Helen: ‘The Exorcist’ if I’m going for pure horror, but ‘Alien’ has to have a mention. I know it’s science fiction and Agatha Christie but for me it’s a wonderful horror story too. And my bitch is named after the lead – Ripley. Favourite character? I can’t answer that one!! Sorry. Oh wait, wait…Hannibal Lecter!! ‘Silence of the Lambs’. Of course…one cannibal to another and all that!!! Haha

What was it about Helen Sherman that made you want to take on the role?

Helen: I was a huge fan of ‘Doctor Who’ when I was a kid and to be a part of ‘Torchwood’ allowed me to be a part of something special. Helen allowed me to play pure horror.

Despite the horrific scenes there must have been some funny moments, who made you laugh on set?

Helen: Most of my scenes were shot at night. It was the early hours of the morning shooting the scene in the abattoir and the set, props and cadavers were so life like it was unnerving. We got the giggles quite a lot! I kept pretending to eat parts of the dead bodies and Owen pretended we were having friends round for a BBQ as there was an incomplete body on a grill!

When you’re not acting what do you do to relax?


Helen: When not acting I love to bake. Bread is my favourite thing at the moment but last week I made Christmas Buns!!! Everything I’m baking at the moment is from Paul Hollywood’s ‘How to Bake’. His shortbread biscuits are cocking lush!!

You Directed a Musical earlier on in your career can you tell us more about it?

Helen: The musical I directed was an original musical feature film. Originally named “Summertime” it was written (Screen play/ Score/ Music) by Neil Antony Docking.  I worked with over 700 children from South Wales during the school workshops/ auditions. The talent was awe-inspiring. We shot it in and around Neath/Port Talbot in 2009. It tells the story of a single mother of 3 boys by different fathers and her struggle to provide a future for her boys. I’ve never quite experienced anything like it. By the time I took on this enormous challenge I had directed theatre, TV and a short film, but nothing prepares you for your first feature. It literally took over my life for 18 months as I also graded and edited the film too. I am extremely proud of what we achieved during that summer. And I am also eternally grateful to all those who also gave up their precious time to share the experience with us. I learned so much and am proud and humbled by the finished product. Neil and I have now set up our own production company and are currently working on our next project.

What was the last book you read?

Helen: Last book was Bram Stoker’s ‘Dracula’ (Well, I’m reading it for a third time now actually). But I’m also reading ‘How Much Is Enough’ by Robert and Edward Skidelsky.

Where do you see yourself five years from now?

Helen: Five years from now I would like to see myself focussing more on directing and getting back into my script writing.

Are you currently involved in any new projects that you can share with us?

Helen: Not at the moment.

You’re on Twitter, but do you have a website or a Facebook account where the fans can follow you?

Helen: I keep Facebook for friends actually. But please follow me on Twitter.

Claudia Lindner:  How was it playing a cannibal? I'd think it must be such fun to play a genuine horror film character.  Were you even a bit afraid of your character and Owen Teale's when you saw yourselves on screen?

Helen: I have to be honest, I kept thinking about Hannibal Lecter. I don’t think that I actually thought about cannibalism in a realistic way or it would have put me off! I love rare steak, so that’s what I imagined I was dying to eat and that I hadn’t eaten in weeks. It was enormous fun to play. I have never shot a gun before, and it was a real gun with blanks. It was incredibly heavy and when they say it has a real ‘kick’ when you fire one? They’re not kidding!.

Originally Helen was meant to have her knee -caps shot out by Captain Jack. But at the last minute they decided to shoot me in the shoulder. Problem was they didn’t have a spare shirt. For those of you who don’t know, something called a ‘squib’ is placed next to your skin. It’s made up of a piece of metal to protect you, next to that is a small explosive. On top of that is a blood bag. The clothing covering the squib, (my shirt) is thinned out by using sand paper. They run a wire through your clothes to a guy with the firing device. He pushes a button and there’s a small explosion under a blood bag and BANG there’s blood and bits flying! So only one shirt meant one take!! I was terrified. So we rehearsed 3 or 4 times and then we went for it. Me shooting at Jack, he shoots me in the shoulder, I have to remember to turn my head away from the explosion (just in case) and then throw myself into the sink and then fall onto a crash mat! It may not sound like much but when you also have to hit your marks and stay in character and only have the one go at getting it right…it was scary!!

And yes…watching the episode Owen Teale frightens the life out of me!!!

Photo Source:
BBC Torchwood 2006
Google
Maxine Evans (headshot)









No comments:

Post a Comment