Thursday 5 March 2020

Interviews Interview with Guy Lewis



On October 22nd, 2006, episode one of Torchwood aired on the BBC. In the first episode, Everything Changes, when two cops are standing out in the torrential downpour, WPC Gwen Cooper receives a hot cup of coffee from a young cop who spoke only once before disappearing from view. This was Guy Lewis. 


Although it was only a small part, Guy has appeared on telly, in many different guises, from ads to dramas, to serials, to films. And after this, I’m sure you’ll recognise him more than you may have done before.

Hi Guy, thanks so much for the interview. Who or what inspired you to become an actor and what was your first role - either professional or amateur?

Guy: I really wish I had a better answer than this, but the truth is a school trip to see ‘Cats’ in London got me thinking that it was something I’d really like to do! Sorry. So, I became a big fan of musicals and that was a huge motivation for me to become an actor. My first role was when I was 14, I played a farmer in the school production of ‘Anne of Green Gables’. My line was LIKE A CYCLONE.

Are you in the 'On the Market' advert? Are you in any other adverts on the telly? Have you done voice overs for adverts?


Guy: YES! Well spotted. I’ve done lots and lots of ads. My background is in theatre - I had a theatre training and have worked extensively in theatre - but over the past few years my main income has been from adverts. Which actually I’ve really enjoyed. And it also means I get to spend more time with my family (I’m married with two kids) rather than gallivanting around the country. My ads include Eve Mattresses, Walkers with Gary Lineker, Weetabix, B and Q, Tassimo, BIC, Birdseye, Barclaycard and many others at home and abroad.

Which theatre production did you get your first break in?

Guy: I did a few fringe things out of drama school, but I guess my first big theatre job was doing ‘The Graduate’ at the Gielgud theatre. I was in the ensemble and understudying Benjamin Braddock - the Dustin Hoffman role. I was in it with Jerry Hall, Amanda Donoghue, Anne Archer and Linda Gray. I did it for a year, and it was a great first experience.

Have you done any audio work? For Big Finish or BBC Audios?

Guy: Well, actually I did my first audio job a couple of weeks back for Audible. It’s called ‘Albion’ and is a retelling of the Arthur legend. I was playing Cled who’s kind of one half of a comedy duo. The other half is Gruff, played by none other than Gareth David-Lloyd! Who, by the way, is such a lovely man. And brilliant.

You're in the Knightfall series on Netflix, directed by Douglas Mackinnon, did you know much about the Knights Templar before you took the role? You play a Captain - can you tell us anything about your character?


Guy: No, I knew nothing about them actually. I just found out from the script. The character is responsible for the ship that’s rescuing the Holy Grail. So probably quite a stressful day for him! I was quite pleased with how it turned out because when they first put me in costume, I looked like something from Monty Python and the Holy Grail! It’s amazing what make up and a fake beard can do.

Are you a method actor?

Guy: If by that you mean ‘Do I spend time being the part in my day to day life and in between takes’ then the answer is no. I’ve never found that helpful. I definitely have a method for working on parts - but it’s not that.

Which genre do you prefer out of all you've worked in?

Guy: I think Comedy can be rewarding for obvious reasons, but I’m not sure if I do have a favourite genre. They’ve all got their merits.

Aside from acting roles, would you or have you been involved in any 'reality television' shows, and if not, which one appeals to you the most?

Guy: No. Hmmmm, I actually love reality TV, but I’m not sure if I’d want to appear on it! I like Strictly, but I’m a terrible dancer. Maybe the jungle would be fun?

When you've been working on a long shoot and you're back in your trailer, or back home, what is your 'comfort food' or 'go to food'?

Guy: Well nothing beats pasta and lardons in a tomato sauce. I run a lot so eat a lot of pasta. It’s definitely good comfort food!

Are you the only person in your family who acts, or do you have any other siblings who work in the industry?

Guy: Yeah completely. I don’t know where my love of it came from. My sister was engaged to Nick Moran of ‘Lock Stock’ for a while but that’s the only other connection.

During breaks in filming, what jobs have you taken to keep the ‘wolf from the door’?


Guy: You name it, I’ve done it. Call centre, cinema, cafe, warehouse stacking shelves, HMV, handing out leaflets and a hundred other ones I can’t remember now!


If you could be in any film, in any role, which would it be and why?

Guy: Oh man that’s hard. Probably a Spielberg in his prime. Jurassic Park would have been fun right?! And a role like Jeff Goldblum’s! Although nobody could ever hope to emulate that.

What's the furthest you've travelled for a gig?

Guy: I’ve done loads of ads round various parts of Europe - Bucharest, Prague, Madrid, Barcelona etc

If you could work with any A list actor/actress, who would it be and in what kind of film?

Guy:  I had one line in a film called ‘Telstar’. My scene was with Con O Neill who is a wonderful actor and human being. Kevin Spacey was also in the scene. He was my total hero (we filmed it I think in 2007). Until the day I worked with him. In terms of who I’d love to act with in ideal dreamworld, it would be Michael Fassbender, and Emma Stone.

Have you worked behind the camera, in any capacity?

Guy: No. Though I’d love to try.

What are your plans for 2020?

Guy: I never really know my plans until they happen! Maybe to do a bit more theatre. I did a wonderful play at the Chichester Festival Theatre late last year called ‘The Butterfly Lion’. There’s a chance that could happen again, but it reignited my love of theatre.


If you could meet your 12-year-old self, what advice would you give him?

Guy: Take the pressure off. You don’t have to be perfect, that’s impossible. Just be good enough.

Profile photo courtesy of Guy Lewis




No comments:

Post a Comment