Monday 6 July 2020

Who Reviews The Brain of Morbius by Matt Rabjohns



I am rather in two minds when it comes to the Brain of Morbius. It is by no way shape or form a bad Doctor Who story, but there's something still at the end of this tale whenever I watch it that I feel "Nah, this isn't actually quite as deserving of the mantle of absolute classic". I'll try to explain why I feel like this.

In fact, of the stories of Season Thirteen, this was my least favourite story.  Some of the scripting is a little off at times. In part three of this story we have the Doctor unconscious, being returned to Solon by the Sisterhood of Karn, for no readily apparent reason. That's the first strangeness to be had. These kind of script goofs always get to me. Silly little blunders that mar the other far better elements of the story.

And for me, the dealing with Morbius by the sisterhood is like quite a few early season Tom Baker stories in that its ending feels too easy after a brilliant build up. Several Philip Hinchcliffe stories for me suffer this same kind of ending, and ruin what otherwise were excellent yarns. This story and Pyramids of Mars for me are two prime examples of the easy way out ending, although maybe at least Brain's isnt quite as silly as Pyramids ending.

But one aspect of this story that gleams though is the cast list. This story has an absolutely classy supporting cast indeed.

First of all, we have the sublime Philip Madoc as Solon. I always thought Philip was such a talented actor, he played particularly stone cold villains to absolute perfection. Every single time he appeared on the classic series he was a standout. And never more so than in The Brain of Morbius. Philip is immensely enjoyable to watch. Solon is a deranged psychopath who dares to call himself a Doctor. It's somewhat rather a blatant display of just how much I'd trust him as a Doctor that Morbius is so inhuman and monstrous a body of leftovers as I've ever seen! The first sight of that headless entity on the operating table made me jump out of my skin on first viewing.

Colin Fey as Condo though is absolutely sublime as Solon's ill fated manservant Condo. He is the best thing in this story. I absolutely love his supreme performance. He totally makes Condo a 3D character, so much so that although he is somewhat a bad egg, you truly feel sorry for him when Morbius murders him. Colin was absolutely exceptional in this role and should have been given an award for his performance here!

Cynthia Grenville and Gilly Meers are both absolutely winning too as the leading sisters of the sisterhood of Karn. Cynthia in particular is wonderful as the emittered Maren. Her scenes with Tom Baker are all electric and because of this the story is lifted again. Gilly Meers too I really like as the not quite so hard nosed Ohica. I love it when dead set characters intent on killing the Doctor, soon realise he is not the cause of the trouble and then admit to needing his help.

I was really sad that the appearance of the Solonian, called Kriz in the Terrance Dicks novelisation of the story, is sadly for only one scene. I think the Solonian had a great deal of potential as an alien. I wonder how Kris got to Karn all the way from Solos in his mutant form?! This scene opens the story memorably and well.

The actual prop of the Brain of Morbius truly repulsed me when I was a child. And after Condo has accidentally knocked it on the laboratory floor its pulsing truly made me feel sick. I thought the design of the brain and the monster was absolutely superb in this story.

I also love the obvious screen chemistry that Tom and Lis Sladen have in abundance. The scenes where Sarah finds out she's blinded for a while are really enjoyable to watch. Tom and Lis are total magic together. I also love the scene as the affronted Doctor bursts out of the TARDIS, furious at how the Time Lords have sent the TARDIS off course. Tom is brilliant when he's genuinely angry as the Doctor, and not an incarnation I'd want to face when he is.

I find it amusing that Terrance Dicks was off put by the changes script editor Rob Holmes had made to his story, so much so that he wanted his name taking off the writing credits. Robert asked him what would you like as a replacement then and Terrance declares "Oh I don't care Bob, just put it out under some bland pseudonym!" Imagine Terrance's amusement when he comes back off holiday to see his story going under the name Robin Bland!! Bob Holmes has such a great sense of humour. I bet Terrance laughed at this.

So, then we have to end with Michael Spice. Morbius's voice is immediately chilling and resonant. And I think it was a very bold move to add a real moment of mystery to the Doctor again when he has his mind bending contest with Morbius...and just how many lives has the Doctor had? I loved this little inkling of something more to the Doctor that has only now recently in Jodie's era been taken up again seriously. All adds to the mythos of the ultimate question in the show Doctor Who?!

The tone of this story is bleak and dark. The monster is truly vile. The Doctor henchman is a wicked and totally immoral subservient. The manservant is a tragic figure, used and abused by the meddling and evil so-called Doctor Solon. The Sisterhood of Karn are not too far away from being simple minded witches with no sense of when they are being told the truth.

So no, The Brain of Morbius is no way shape or form a bad story at all. It’s just the few goofs of scripting and the unexplained that mars the overall effect of this story. One thing’s for sure, this is more gruesome and impactful than Frankenstein which it clearly gets its genesis from. In fact, this story does have one scene I did think warranted it being labelled a 12 certificate, when sick Solon shoots Condo in the stomach. That's a despicable and rather brutal scene. I am not surprised for once if Mary Whitehouse had something to say about this scene. I actually for once think this is very very near the mark for the show. However, it’s still excellent storytelling overall only let down by some fluffs and a tad too easy ending.

However, one can’t get away from the fact of why The Brain of Morbius is so highly regarded. It's Gothic, it's quite yuck at times and has two superb central villains. Not a bad entry into the Doctor Who myth at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment