Sunday 1 September 2013

Interviews Eve Myles at Collectormania 2013 by DJ Forrest



Fumbling as I was and praying the voice recorder would play ball then realised this was behaving as badly as it did when I was interviewing Dillon Casey I was so glad that Eve has the patience of a saint. I set the recorder down beside her and prayed for the best. Thankfully the counter was working.

The first question came from Natalie Vanstone, who had met Eve previously and had had such a blast with her. Natalie had asked two questions, the first of which fell flat, for a question that would wind up on a page and not on an audio interview but still fun to ask and listen over on the recorder later. I handed Eve the written words, and she replied. “Arse biscuits!” Natalie also asked if she’d like a pint of wine.

Eve: I actually haven’t’ been drinking in 8 months, I’m on a bit of a health kick but thank you very much!


Katya Armbruster said she looked forward to seeing Eve at MD Con next year. 

Eve smiled and said “OH yes that is going to be fantastic!”

John Bond-Winstone wanted to know what the funniest moment Eve had had at a convention.

Eve: I think it was John Barrowman making me do Pamela Plastic hip in Canada and then us making Gareth David Lloyd do Asparagus Man.  Hysterical! Or Ian Gelder doing an orgasm that lasted nearly 15 minutes, yeah because we all know they don’t last 15 minutes. She laughs.

Emma Tennant Jemison wanted to know if Eve would ever consider working on Doctor Who again?

Eve: Yes yes of course

Clare Witch Project asked: When you were emotional in Torchwood you broke many hearts, what did you think of when you did these scenes?


Eve: Oh that is very complimentary, thank you very much.  Because when you get given scenes hopefully people will believe in them and unfortunately people’s hearts got broken because they believed in it.

Amy Atkinson asked what Eve’s favourite Gwen outfit was

Eve: I think it’s the classic black with red top, black tight jeans, yeah.  Kind of classic look!

Mickie asked what do you think is Gwen’s defining episode?

Eve: I would say the last episode in the series of Miracle Day when she has to shoot Jack, to save the world.

More signing, including signing someone’s sling. Molly has come over with her recording and Eve is having a right laugh at it. Watching her actions prior to this filming was amusing from where I stood earlier!


Eve apologised several times to me during the breaks in the interview as more people requested an autograph but I didn’t mind one bit. 

Would you consider a role as a zombie, as Gareth is playing Jacob Fitts in I am Alone?

Eve hadn’t heard of the new film, so after giving a brief description of Gareth as a zombie, judging by his make-up, Eve replied, “I’m the biggest kind of horror fan of the world so I would do anything that was to do with a horror. “

I’m in a film at the moment called ‘Bad Blood’ and made up as a zombie.

Eve: I love it, I’ve just worked with a director, who is a huge director in horror and a writer in horror as well and we’re discussing a film together.

Oh, cool that will be brilliant!


Eve: Hence why Countrycide is my favourite episode.

If you were allowed to take 3 physical things from the set of Torchwood what would they be?

Eve: My thingymajig, you know the thingymajig that was in Children of Earth?  It looked like the Doctor’s pen but we don’t know whether it was or not.  And Owen’s sex perfume and the glove.

You’re back acting again with Anthony Head; can you tell us anything about your role?


Eve: I play a character called Lauren Gray who is a very upper middle class English girl whose travelled the world several times and finds love in an airport with Anthony Head.  He is 59 in it and she’s 33 and of course the prejudices around the family and friends think that this isn’t going to work and it’s ‘who is this guy?’ and it’s a ‘creepy kind of thing to do’ but they are the normal people who are desperately in love with each other and it’s the people and the family around them who are the nightmares.  It’s a comedy on UKGold and I think it’s airing October but I’m not sure, there’s an air date very soon.   It’s very funny.  It’s Gold’s first original comedy.

Were there outtakes when you were doing it?

Eve: I’m sure there’s a ton. This is the thing with comedy you can’t really mess about too much in it, because it’s the timing, comedy is the hardest thing you can do.  It’s so difficult.  Give me a Greek tragedy any day, it’s so difficult so technical, structured it’s really difficult.

Who directs that?

Eve: Simon Hind. Scottish director actually, wonderful guy, he’s completely brought me out of my shell confidence wise with comedy.  It’s going to be a really fun show.  It’s going to be 6 x 40 minutes

We loved Frankie and were gutted that it never made a 2nd series, and we signed the petitions.


Eve: I know I can’t quite believe it, I can’t get over the response, none of us can actually because it did better than any of us predicted.  We’re blown away by the figures every week and the audience appreciation.

When they altered the day it completely threw it.

Eve: It completely threw it. Football - England versus someone, it don’t think it helped that they didn’t publicise that we were back on at the same time on the following week. It was a difficult thing to do, but every week it just got more viewers.  People loved it, it was a huge disappointment to everybody involved that we didn’t get it, because we were all raring to go.

Do you think it helps having a good production crew, in order to give your best performance and are there some you haven’t clicked with?

Eve: The thing is every production has a small production team or a huge production team, all shapes and sizes, but what you have to understand is that you’ve got to work with these people a lot during the day and over an amount of time and the crew and cast that I’ve worked with in every production has been amazing and I can’t speak enough about them. To me it’s about the job and to make friends, it’s great!”

In the gun room scene in Torchwood when Jack was teaching Gwen how to shoot, how much of that was scripted?


Eve: When he teaches her to shoot? I would think 95% of that was scripted, but some bits and bobs were adlibbed. I mean not a lot, we have to be strict we’ve got to be really precise, there were little bits we could get away with.

I thanked Eve for the interview and she thanked me too, and we shook hands.  It was ten minutes before the photo shoot, so time to get ourselves over there before the queue began to grow.


No comments:

Post a Comment