Tuesday 30 July 2013

Interviews Anthony Lewis by DJ Forrest



The first time I saw you was in Emmerdale, your sister in the series went on to become a regular in Corrie, were you ever offered a role on the hallowed cobbles?

Anthony: No I have actually never been offered a role. I have got fairly close on a couple of occasions through the normal audition process but it never happened. My parents are fans of the show though so I wouldn’t mind popping in for a pint in the Rovers.

Many actors’ accents seem to change as they progress but yours remains northern was that a conscious decision by yourself to retain your regional accent?

Anthony: My accent switches depending on where I am/who I am with! When I go up to Leeds to see friends and family, I can go really broad but back down in London my accent is pretty subtle. I am proud of where I am from so I would never like to lose it but it is good to be versatile with your voice. Tommy was a working class West Yorkshire regiment soldier so I went all out for that ha!


In your role as Tommy Brockless did you have to research much about the role of a shell shocked soldier from the First World War?  Having played the role has it made you more aware of the life of the soldiers during that time?

Anthony: I had relatives who had fought in WW1 so my Dad provided me with some good material. I have always had a fascination with War, especially ones that are so recent and well documented. Just wearing the uniform, which was authentic, really gave you a sense of the inadequate kit these poor young men would go with in to the most horrific conditions.

Since your role with Torchwood, had you seen the series prior and have you watched it since?
Anthony: Yeah, I watched the whole first and second series and I watched all of Miracle Day which I actually really enjoyed!

How many weeks were you filming your scenes in Torchwood ‘To the Last Man’?

Anthony: Good question. I think it was probably around 4/5 weeks. I have actually been working back in Cardiff recently for a similar period of time and it really reminded how much I had enjoyed the city when I did Torchwood.

I watched outtakes from years ago of Benny from Crossroads who ate so many doughnuts he was put off them possibly for life, in the episode where you’re tucking into a hearty breakfast with cups of tea, how often did you have to retake the shot, or various screen angles before it was perfect for the director? How often did you have to eat the plate of food or drink the tea or whatever you drank?  And was it real beer at the pub?

Anthony: Well I can be quite sneaky with stuff like that. I tend to avoid eating or drinking things purely for that reason or to avoid having to remember everything for continuity. In that particular scene, I seem to remember not eating on every angle just to avoid exploding. And only on takes. Golden rule!

When people get a role in Doctor Who it’s like a gift from the gods, is it the same feeling when you land a role in Torchwood?

Anthony: Yeah I did feel privileged. I had met Andy Pryor (Casting Director) a few weeks earlier for an episode of Doctor Who but for a smaller part. When I read the Torchwood script, I thought it was a great part and I knew the show so when it came off, I was delighted. It almost didn’t come off though as I got a film and another TV job at the same time (like buses) but thankfully my agent and the production crew managed to schedule it so I could do all three which is pretty rare.

Kay Mellor has written some really powerful dramas, aside from The Syndicate have you been involved in any other dramas by Kay?

Anthony: I have indeed. I actually have known Kay for a number of years. My brother worked with her first actually when he was about 5 on a film called ‘Some Kind Of Life’. Then a few years later, I worked with her on a film called ‘Girl’s Night’ alongside Brenda Blethyn and Julie Walters. Several years later, I did a rehearsed reading for a play she was doing and ended up working opposite Kay on a production of her famous stage play ‘A Passionate Woman’ which we then toured across a few cities. ‘The Syndicate’ came not long after that and then who knows what else could happen?

Are you a geek when it comes to sci fi?  What was your favourite series when you were growing up?

Anthony: I have to confess not massively. Growing up my older brother Chris was a big trekkie but I was always more in to football. I am quite geeky about some stuff like The Terminator universe or general movie trivia. I love IMDB!! So in a roundabout way, it actually seems I may be a geek.


What car do you drive?

Anthony: I used to drive a Honda 4x4 and then one of the new VW Beetles. More recently though my car of choice has been the tube! Since living in Central London, I have had no need to drive anywhere really so I got rid of the car!

Although your brother went on to play Neville Longbottom in Harry Potter did you ever apply for a part in the film also and how did you feel when Matt landed the role?  Had you read the books beforehand?

Anthony: I was always a little bit too old for those films. I think I would have been around 17/18 when he got the part and there were very few roles for people that age in the series until much later. I was delighted when he got the role, the whole buzz had been all over the papers and to suddenly be around that world was really exciting. I decided to read the first couple of books once he got the role and I could see why it was so popular.

Are you the youngest, eldest or middle child of the three boys?

Anthony: I am the middle child. Which had its challenges back in the day but my brothers are great guys and we all get on really well.

Where do you see yourself in five years from now?

Anthony: Who knows? Hopefully directing and acting in something I have written maybe. And sandwich that between teaching what I know about the world of acting to young people. I am looking to open a theatre school in the next few months so time to impart what little wisdom I have!

You had a band, would you go back to music at any point?

Anthony: I wouldn’t mind jamming a bit and playing some more gigs, I just don’t find the time or people where I am. All my previous bands were in Leeds so maybe one day if I move home, I will dust off the guitar and rock again.

 
Questions from fans:
Seren Rock: Do you ever get confused for your brother Matthew?

Anthony: It has indeed happened on a few occasions. Even a couple of times when we have been out together, which I have found hilarious.

Jack Harkness: What was your best work to date that you enjoyed the most?

Anthony: It sounds like I am just saying it, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time on Torchwood. Great bunch of guys, a good part and a lovely location.

Amy: What made you decide to become an actor?

Anthony: No idea! I just always seemed to like becoming other characters. Dressing up, doing accents and voices and making videos. Then at school, I really pushed myself in to all the drama productions and it went from there!

Taylor:  I remember watching you in Emmerdale, have you watched it since and do you like the changes they made?


Anthony: I have seen it a couple of times since as I still know a lot of the guys involved. I think shows need to make changes from time to time and I am all for that, as long as the writing and production values stay high. I actually went back last year for the 40th Anniversary bash and it was great to see everyone but there were so many new faces!

Special thanks to Anthony Lewis for a wonderful interview

If you would like to write to Anthony for a signed photo you can contact him here:
Roxane Vacca Management,
61 Judd Street
London
WC1H 9QT
United Kingdom

Also you can also tweet Anthony: @mranthonylewis



No comments:

Post a Comment