Saturday 1 June 2013

Interviews Marnix Van Den Broeke by DJ Forrest



From Werewolf to the Silence

By DJ Forrest

Marnix Van Den Broeke, born 24th February 1976 in Axel is a Dutch actor, professional dancer and a stuntman.  He was cast in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in 2004 as the werewolf that Professor Lupin turns into whenever there’s a full moon.  From then he went on to appear as the physical death in Hogfather (2006), The Deaths of Ian Stone as the Harvester 1 (2007), the Colour of Magic (2008), also as The Shadow in Inkheart (2008) in Terry Pratchett’s Going Postal as Mr Pump (2010) and in 2011 he played The Silence in Doctor Who, in the episodes The Impossible Astronaut; Day of the Moon; The Wedding of River Song.

Marnix is extremely tall, in fact 6’ 7” in his stocking feet and it’s not surprising that he was chosen for the role of werewolf, or the role as The Silence, both slim characters.  From the off screen photos of the werewolf and from Marnix in costume it looked a physically demanding job as the werewolf judging by the one where he’s off the ground strapped into the harness.  Project: Torchwood had the opportunity of interviewing Marnix recently over his roles as the werewolf on HP and as The Silent (the singular name) in Doctor Who.

When the werewolf appeared in Harry Potter, Prisoner of Azkaban I didn't realise it was an actual creature that you were dressed up in, for it being that tall, I was under the belief that the entire costume was CGI.  How much training did you have, to get used to the movement as you were quite a few inches off the ground weren't you and it was an incredibly slim wolf, obviously you're a very slim person, but did you have to watch what you ate in order to stay in trim for that role?

Marnix: What’s been used in the movie in the end is a mixture of real images and CGI. After we shot all the werewolf scenes it’s been decided for whatever reason as to do quite a bit of the creatures’ action with the computer. I think based on the fact that it was physically not possible to deliver some movements in the suit. For example running on all fours. In the scene you see the werewolf running. I could hardly walk on the stilts on that steep slope of the set. So let stand alone running.


Saying that, we trained for half a year prior to shooting of our scenes. Because of the design of the werewolf costume with all the animatronics, the stilts and the position we would be in whilst in the suit we needed to be ready and prepared. We practiced two days a week in the beginning, full days of hardcore gym time, later we would do full weeks with training at the studios with parts of the costume, stilts etc.
We also went to the zoo to watch the behaviour of the wolves in their pack. LOL. They sleep all day.

Being a prof. dancer at the time I was well fit. One of the reasons they hired me for the job. Besides my height, body type and acting abilities. We started off with three, one guy had to leave after a week because of the difficulty of the training. Spencer and myself made it till the end. We have similar body types, Spencer was a prof. kick boxer, I was a prof. dancer so the combination of the two of us training together was interesting, funny and very cool. Being the two of us with the difference in movement would be used in different scenes. Also because it would be too risky and impossible to just do it with one actor.

For the role of the Silence in Doctor Who, how long did it take from start to finish getting into the prosthetic costume?

Marnix: As compared to the werewolf costume this was much easier. For the character of the Silence we only had a headpiece and hands gloves on besides a normal suit. It would only take 5 minutes in the end to put the head and hands on. We had a great team working on and off set who were used to work with creatures, animatronics etc. They did a great job.


I went to a Children's Gala in my area as the Silence, my daughter went as the Judoon, I looked extremely scary but it was the suit that I couldn't get right, I couldn't get the wet look of the suit, what did the team use to make you look as if you'd stepped out of a rain shower?

Marnix: Honestly? I don’t know, or actually I did but forgot. ;-)

What is your funniest moment on set as the Silence?

Marnix: There are many! We had such a good time on set. My fellow actors, Matt, Karen, Arthur, Alex and Mark liked a laugh and were very funny at times. I miss them around now I think about it. Of course bumping my head, wandering off and walking against stuff during takes would be very funny at times.

When you're in costume is it very comfortable or do you find you sweat a lot inside all of that latex or rubber? And when you're in costume, I'd assume you're going to be inside it all day, so you'd be limited for how often you could go to the bathroom, or take food and drinks?

Marnix: It depends on the job and costume actually. With the Silence it was quite comfortable as it was just a suit. They wouldn’t let you sit around waiting in your costume if not needed for a scene. And in between scenes I got to take off the mask and hands every time.

How did you get into this business?

Marnix: At the time just before the castings of HP I was in London dancing for a show called The Snowman. My friend from the cast knew a friend who was having this agency for dancers. So I signed up with them and a few weeks later I got the casting for HP3. After many casting rounds I got the job. ;-)

For anyone who wanted to go into the industry doing the same as you, what advice would you have for them? As I can imagine your work would be very demanding, as I know film sets can be quite long hours and often sitting about waiting in costume.  But for people who watch you in the films and programmes, what is it that keeps you going, that makes you want to sit for hours in makeup and prosthetics, what is it that drives you?

Marnix: I like to transform. Character wise and physically. To make a character mine by using different parts of me. Always seeking for other characteristics and behaviour to find that part in you and to make it yours. Blowing life into a fictional character as well as a real one. Human, inhuman, beast, monster whatever! What drives me is finding myself in the characters I play, meeting all the interesting people on a job. And getting the chance to see the world the great places where it takes you like locations.


What projects are you working on at the moment?

Marnix:  I’m doing casting direction on a TV commercial at the moment. Apart from that there is not yet any news I can share. There might be soon,.. ;-)

Thank you very much for the interview.

Marnix: It’s been a pleasure answering this questionnaire for you and all your followers. I like when people are passionate about things and like to bring that about and show it to the world. So please keep continue with your blog and thanks for all your support on the series. People appreciate this very much and so do I.

To find out more about Marnix Van Den Broeke you can follow him on Twitter and Facebook and his new Tumblr page at:




You will also find details about Marnix on Wikipedia and IMDB

Source info and photographs: Wikipedia, Marnix Van Den Broeke Facebook Page

Special thanks to Marnix Van Den Broeke for the interview


No comments:

Post a Comment