Saturday 29 June 2013

Interviews Justin McDonald aka Matt Stevens by DJ Forrest



During any intimate scene regardless of how clothed or naked you are, how much pressure is involved mentally on you given that you have to perform this in front of the entire film crew?

Justin: I try not to think about the rest of the crew and stay focused on the scene. Normally crews are very supportive and professional about it, as they know that scenes like that can sometimes be a bit uncomfortable. Having said that, there was a real sense of fun on the Torchwood set and everyone involved just wanted to do the best job possible.

Also aware of how intense the ‘passion’ was during this sequence how often did you get the giggles?

Justin: There were moments when we realised that the situation was quite silly, but to be honest we wanted to make sure that the sequence was as good as it could be and so stayed focussed. It was only really when we looked back at the monitors afterwards that we had a chance to laugh about it.

Since the show have you watched Torchwood and followed the series?

Justin: I've been keeping an eye on it. I'm really happy for everyone involved that the show has been such a huge success.

You’ve worked with a number of well known actors such as Renee Zellweger and Ewan McGregor, Jim Broadbent and Colin Firth, who was the best person you worked with and did any impart any advice during filming, something that sticks with you even today?


Justin: Renée Zellweger was lovely to work with and extremely supportive. Jim Broadbent was a real gentleman too. There was no advice as such but one of the things that always sticks out to me about great actors is that they're humble and unaffected, and just want create great work.

Were there any funny moments when you were working on set of Torchwood that you can share with us?

Justin: After we had filmed the original sequence in the nightclub and toilets, I had to go back to the studio to film again for the special effects team so that they could add the CGI. This was in a green screen facility, the same one they use for the Doctor Who stuff. It was a couple of weeks later and the crew that I had worked with previously were already working on a different part of the episode, so I was teamed up with a B camera crew and the special effects team. I had to recreate the entire scene on my own and instead of working with the actress, they placed an illuminous green cylinder in the middle of the room. So imagine me, stood there on my own in a huge green screen warehouse room, pants round my ankles, gyrating against a green cylinder, with twenty or so strangers looking on. It was a very surreal situation and always makes me giggle when I think about it.

I’d love a signed photo of you, where might I acquire one?

Justin: Anyone who would like a signed photo just needs to send a stamped self addressed envelope to my agent with a small note.

Where do you see yourself in five years from now?

Justin: Hopefully doing what I'm doing now, working with fellow creatives. There are also a couple of projects that I have in the works and it would be great to see those come to fruition in the next few years. Like most actors, I just want to keep working, and with the best writers and directors.

What car do you drive?

Justin: I passed my driving test last year and really appreciate the artistry and skill that goes into the engineering of great cars. That said, I currently share my wife's car as we don't have the need for another one at the moment. I'd love my first car to be a vintage classic or something quite sporty, but I'll probably end up getting something more practical and environmentally friendly.

What was the last book you read?

Justin: The last book I read was Brian Johnson's (ACDC front-man) autobiography, Rockers and Rollers. I'm addicted to autobiographies as I find other people's life experiences fascinating. Brian comes from the same village as me and has some really fun rock and roll stories to tell. He is also a car fanatic and his book combines the two themes brilliantly. I recommend it.

Coming from Gateshead you weren’t that far away from Byker Grove (going by Google Maps) were you ever involved in any of the drama groups in that area?

Justin: I was always quite shy growing up, so would never have had the confidence to have joined a drama group. But funnily enough, when I was a little boy I saw Byker Grove being filmed at the end of my street and when I was at school my class was selected to appear in an episode as extras too, so I guess it was my first taste of the industry. It captured my imagination early on and I was always intrigued. They all seemed to be having so much fun and it must have planted a seed.

Questions from fans:

Kirsty Price: How did he prepare for the massive sex scene he had and what was his feelings on doing it?

Justin: I tried to remember what I did in the audition, with those kind of things you have to just throw yourself in and go for it. The less you think about it the better.

Claudia Lindner: What are you doing now, acting or otherwise?

Justin: Recently I got married to my wife up in the Lake District. I also formed my own production company last year. I've finished writing my first feature which is now in the early stages of development. There are also a few projects for tv that I'm developing too. If anyone is interested in following what I'm up to I'm on Twitter @wordsjustin.

Mickie Newton: What were your first thoughts when you read about your characters’ scene?

Justin: I thought that it was a great opportunity to be part of Torchwood. The scene represented the more risqué side of the series in a way which had never been done with Doctor Who. I was there at the launch of the series and the first read through for the first two episodes. The press were there and camera crew were filming when we read through my scenes and it got everyone laughing.

Thank you again for the interview



No comments:

Post a Comment