Sunday 5 May 2019

Interviews A Catch Up with Chris Wilson by DJ Forrest




Chris Wilson has been in more dramas than the Weevil has had hot dinners! Seriously, he has! We interviewed Chris back in April 2015, after discovering he’d appeared in more than 2 episodes of Torchwood and since then, he’s racked up a good many more appearances on the dramas we all know and love including well known and well loved films, such as the Harry Potter series, and The Dark Knight, and more recently working alongside Ray Winstone and Michael Gambon.

I caught up with Chris recently 

Hi Chris, does it make a difference to where you're based do you think or how far you can travel if you don't drive or own a car?

Chris: No, I don’t think where you live matters, if I want to work on something, I chase them up and blag my way on it!

You've been extremely busy with one thing or another. Which has been the most interesting roles you've played so far, since we last caught up?

Chris: I think Fantastic Beasts was good, they used me in a number of Publicity Shots and am therefore in most of the picture books and the making of the film. 


Also, Sherlock which I loved working on, and of course has many Torchwood connections. Toby Jones was brilliant I thought. I play the High Rank Police Officer.

I also worked with Toby on Don’t Forget the Driver, The Donkey Sanctuary episode in which I play a Baptist minister. And Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom I played a Texan, (again with Toby Jones)




I have been lucky enough to work on some brilliant programmes, both Film and TV, and it’s a great honour to be invited back. The Big Narstie Show - I was lucky enough to work on every episode over 2 series as an Ofcom Officer. I hope I may be invited back for the 3rd series if it goes ahead, hopefully it will.



I've never seen the Big Narstie Show - is it a talk show with sketches?

Chris: Yes, I always get a buzz from working as I never know what I’m going to play next. This week I was a Baptist minister also a Porter in Porters 


I love the variety of the job. Currently I’m working on a large budget Sky series Cobra as Head of Metropolitan Police "Commissioner" a similar role to the one I played in Torchwood. Then next weekend I play a WW2 German General, and also have a photoshoot as Sir Trafford Leigh Mallory, for an event on the 21st and 22nd June remembering the D-Day veterans.


Chris as Commissioner for Cobra 

I also work as a picture double and have just finished a massive film as a double for a main character, unfortunately I am not allowed to give any information at this time.

I love all the picture double work again as you never know what’s next. this is my Crew CV

This week I have also played a Police officer on Midsomer Murders, I have worked on something like 85 episodes, always lovely show to work on.

To be as busy as you are, you need to obviously stay fit and healthy, even if you're not moving around the set as much as perhaps the lead roles. How do you stay in peak condition as early mornings and late evenings/night shoots must take it out of you?

Chris: The long hours you sort of get used to. I have been working away for the last 4 days then a 4-hour drive home, two days off, then back up Tuesday morning for the rest of the week and again a 4-hour drive. Then I start another project on Saturday staying overnight then back home, this time as a German Officer. I get cast as a German Officer on a regular basis, but as long as I am working, I’m happy.


You get a lot of work in the UK, have you ever worked overseas for a role?

Chris: Yes, in a previous life I was a musician [playing] Bass Guitar. [I] started in 1976, and travelled all over the place, I also worked the now legendary TV series The Tube for Channel 4. I did the first 2 series [in]1982 & 1983, I was a runner / production assistant. At the same time, I worked for another TV series Razzmatazz. Fantastic times but I did not appreciate it then. Of course, Band Aid came from The Tube connections.

Ahh that's right, as Boomtown Rats played on The Tube didn’t, they? Do you still play guitar, or still own one?

Chris: Paula Yates was married to Bob Geldof at the time. Fantastic show. I still own a modern Fender Precision and Strat but sadly no longer play, not enough time unfortunately. 

My first professional tour, photo taken 1976, at United States Navy Base Rota Spain

Rickenbacker 4001 stereo through 2 x Fender Bassman Amp and Cabs

What was the band called back then?

Chris: I worked with so many different bands over the years, but I think two of my favourites were Chippy A La Carte, who were brilliant musicians based in the North East [they] were a top Club/cabaret band in the mid-eighties. And other favourite was The Fish Brothers from Brighton, these are a Cult band and have a very loyal following. 

Were they Indie bands?

Chris: Fish Brothers - I was only a dep not a full-time member of the band, they are still touring.  I hope to be seeing them in July when they support Bad Manners in Lewis, East Sussex.

Chris: On the High Rank Police officer theme, Line of Duty Chief Superintendent, from Series 1.


What was the role you played as with Ray Winstone, last time we spoke?

Chris: [It was] King of Thieves with Michael Caine. I double & stand in for Ray on this film, mainly the scenes in the Vault.



You certainly play a lot of military roles, especially German Officers.

Chris: I work with a company called Wartime Productions who are fantastic to work with. In fact we start shooting a few new productions with them in the next few weeks. I was Associate Producer for Wartime Productions for this Reel; I also appear as a German General & Officer throughout it.  https://youtu.be/3ACfC1LNfKU

Chris: The German Soldiers & Officers from Wartime Productions at the Leicester Square Premier of the WW2 Battle of Britain film Hurricane. 


There’s a photo of you with Sir Michael Gambon, was that a photo op, or were you working in a film with him?

Chris: I had the great pleasure of doubling for the fantastic Sir Michael Gambon last year on the new film Cordelia. Another lovely man and brilliant actor. I am also currently working on another massive film as a picture double but unfortunately not able to say anything about it due to various NDAs.

Throughout your career what have been your most favourite films and television series to be involved in?

Chris: The Dark Knight remains one of my favourite films. Favourite TV programmes which I have been involved in I would say Sherlock The Lying Detective. Once again, I play a High Rank police Officer although this time not in uniform. I love the way Toby Jones plays the part in this episode, and it was a great honour to be involved.

Sherlock, The Lying Detective, as High Rank Police Officer (right) with Toby Jones

One last question, would you ever write a book about your journey as an actor and background artist, and all the roles you've been a part of from in front of and behind the camera? John R Walker wrote a book about his time on Doctor Who and Torchwood as well as other roles. Would this be something you would want to explore at some point?

Chris: Yes, I am thinking about writing a book, and I get offered attending Conventions on a regular basis, and yes, I would be interested in both but not at this moment in time, in a few years, yes.

I know John R Walker, worked with him many times, and I played Chief Inspector Charles Coleman for him in Ouijageist.

Thank you Chris for a wonderful catch up!

(Credit John R Walker for photo from Ouijageist)

All other photos courtesy of Chris Wilson


No comments:

Post a Comment