Thursday 31 October 2013

Interviews John & Carole Barrowman Exodus Code by DJ Forrest



Torchwood: Exodus Code recently hit the bookshops in paperback form, with Captain Jack Harkness on the front cover.  My hardback copy has the Celtic symbol on the front cover.  A book I’d read in a few days after buying it at the signing at Waterstones, Glasgow.  I also got to shake John’s hand and lost all power of speech thereafter!

This is the second time I’ve had the opportunity of interviewing Carole and John Barrowman with regards to their novels Exodus Code and the Hollow Earth trilogy, and having read and fully enjoyed their novels, I had a fistful of questions to put to them.

The Cuari – I was shocked when I came to the end of the book to realise that this tribe didn’t actually exist, when I was convinced as I read their bio that I’d read about them in National Geographic.  Were they based upon a tribe in Peru or was this entirely built on fiction?

CB: They are indeed based on a tribe in Peru.

The taste sensation that Jack and the women on Earth experienced in the book, why did it affect Jack?

JB: Jack is more evolved… (not sure about John).

    (photo courtesy of John Barrowman.com)

I read in an article Carole that you also experience this taste sensation Synaesthesia  have you always had it and what triggers it off, is it as strong as those within the book?

CB: I’ve a mild form of synesthesia (nothing like the characters in the book). I see bright colors and bold shapes whenever anyone says days of the week or months. I was in college when I discovered that’s what I had and I’ve been researching it since. I always thought everyone’s brain saw things that way.

JB: I never knew she was a synesthetic until we started this project… it explains so much!!

With Exodus Code received well by the fans, will you guys write another Torchwood story?

JB: We’d love too. It’s just a matter of each of us finding the time.

I loved Chapter 51 with the ‘chartered fishing cruiser’, I could picture that scene.  When you were putting the story together was it written with the purpose of making it cinema worthy, as it reads very much like a film than a storybook, whereas Hollow Earth series reads like a story that you’d want to see made into a film?

CB: I think we both are very visual storytellers so in all our novels we’ve tried to make the story cinematic.

JB: This kind of cinematic pacing is planned. We’d love to see “Exodus Code” as the next chapter for Torchwood on film.

The parts where Jack was scared, and ran away I felt his pain and how it always seems to be Jack’s fault.  When you wrote Exodus Code had it been a joint decision to lay so much pressure at Jack’s door, to see how he was going to solve this threat to mankind far greater than even Miracle Day? 

JB: Jack’s the hero and hero’s have to be flawed and Jack’s flaws are sometimes the things people love about him so we were conscious of the fact that in Miracle Day Jack had experienced being mortal again and that would have changed him… but not so much that he shirks responsibility or pressure. 


What does the symbol on the front cover of the book signify as I’ve also seen it used in another programme?

CB: A Triquetra is an ancient mythological symbol, usually for the elements of wind, earth and fire. It’s also an iconic Celtic symbol (a Celtic knot) and it represents a trinity of spirits or deities.

Do you have a dream cast for your stories, especially Exodus Code?  Aside from the regular cast, who would in your minds play Renso and the crew of the Ice Maiden?

JB: Not sure who we would cast. All I know is I’m playing Captain Jack! We’d love to read what fans think. Who would you cast in the other roles?


I loved Bone Quill.  In this 2nd novel there was more involvement, it was a nice move from the first and I raced through the story.  I was never really interested in History, but the Middle Ages just got interesting.  We got to learn a lot more about the monks guarding the Bone Quill and the life of Solon and his quest.  The treachery of the monks and the mysterious hooded character, I most especially enjoyed the twist at the end of the book, disappointed only by the fact I have to wait until the third instalment to find out what happened to Matt and the hideous figure in the hood.  When will the 3rd instalment be out?

JB: Carole is writing the third book right now. We outlined it last year after we’d finished editing Bone Quill… Originally when we first came up with the idea we plotted the big events through to the final book.

CB: We’ve always known how it is going to end.

When you’re writing, and putting aside collaboration for a moment, but when you’re writing about a certain character such as Malcolm sealed away in a painting, had you always known what his purpose was in the story, or did his character present itself to you after you planned out the first book and were starting on the second, did you know the series of events that would take Matt and Em and Zach on their journey?  Do you sometimes let the story unfold and see where it will take you, or do you always work to a plan?

CB: We work from an outline, but we let tangents happen when they come up and they work. But we knew Malcolm was in a painting from the beginning. It was one of the first ideas we had when we were brainstorming the arc of the trilogy.

JB: I trust Carole and I know that when a character chooses to do something that we didn’t plan she has to see what happens.



With all that goes on in your own life Carole, how do you find the time to write? Do you have a routine plan, as in how much you type in a day, giving yourself deadlines to meet x amount word score?

CB: During a semester when I’m teaching, I write every day (even if it’s only a few hundred words in the evening before or after dinner), and I always work to a deadline (either my own or our editor’s). In the summer when I’m not teaching I try to write 1,000 day.

You guys ROCK you really do, and I’d love the opportunity of meeting you both again, hoping I don’t forget how to speak after you shake my hand John!

Diolch yn fawr!

JB: And thank you!



Photo source:
Thank you to www.johnbarrowman.com






2 comments:

  1. Nice interview. Now I even more want to read Exodus Code! Must get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really good read and well worth the money, and I'm not just saying that. I have enjoyed the book, all their books, so easy to get into and well worth the money! :)

      Delete