Wednesday 30 October 2013

The Mothership My Top 11 Doctor Who TV Stories by Simon Mallinson


This is a very hard piece to write as there are so many I love from all Doctors, so here goes.

Doctor No.1 William Hartnell

As I wasn't born when Bill was blazing a trail with The Doctor, this choice is from what I’ve seen.

Tenth Planet

I know this is going to cause a bit of ranting at me but this is a personal choice.  The Doctor is starting to get tired and I think that was more Hartnell than the character.  Bill in my eyes pulls off a swansong not equalled to this day.
The acting is first class though the sets at times makes you laugh, the concept of Gerry Davis and Kit Pedler is truly awe inspiring, and to this day spawn a lot of imitators.  The Cybermen, silver giants, okay the first incarnation may be too damn easy to kill but the fact that they upgraded their bodies still freak me out.  Also because they still look vaguely human has me shivering where the modern versions don't.
The story is a great reminder what over reliance on energy can do and the down side of being too mechanical in thinking.
I would like to say the characters of Polly (Anneke Wills) and Ben (Michael Craze) are written well and it’s their best story.  


Doctor No.2 Patrick Troughton

Again I viewed these by video and later dvd so apologies for my choice of story.  Okay I admit now I like the Cybermen.

The Invasion

Okay another Cyberman story I hear you screaming, but this is a great story.  Well acted especially by Frazer Hines and Patrick and Nicholas Courtney what can I say, I would follow the Brigadier to Hell if he asked.
The story has a lot of pluses that the other stories lacked, a great villain, spooky atmosphere and icon images of Cybermen walking down steps in London with St Paul's in the background.
By this time the character of the Doctor portrayed by Patrick has blossomed, all the traits are there we remember him by, and what fun the Doctor can joke with the best of us.

Doctor No.3 Jon Pertwee

You be happy to know I was born before this story aired.  Okay only just so watched on video, TV (ahh the happy days of old channel UK Gold) and DVD.

The Green Death

See I picked a non Cyberman story, okay no choice with this incarnation.

This story is one of the classics in my eyes, it takes the environment and makes it damn cool.  Catch line screw with the environment and get big big maggots.
The story is very well written by Robert Sloman and the Great Barry Letts.  Lots of action to carry on the incarnation's ability to be a cross between 007 and a Superhero.  Lots of laughter and a credible love story (Okay bets on Jo Grant poisoning herself after the wedding by being clumsy will be taken).
Also the story pulls no punches with the environmental message and the End of the story made me cry (yes I know big softie here).

Jon Pertwee always played a good Doctor, but in this story he jumped into a different level of excellence.  Also I would like to sing the praise of a certain Jo Grant, the siren of Doctor Who, whose scream always made me laugh.  This story she comes out all guns blazing and I have to say this was her best story.  Katy Manning I will forever love you for this story and the talent you hid all this time.

Doctor No.4 Tom Baker

I struggled with this choice as Tom was and will always be my Doctor.  What to pick so many great stories and so many err stories to his name.

The Horror of Fang Rock (Not Fraggle Rock)

This story is maybe a controversial choice but it is one of the best I’ve seen.  Well written by the Great Terrance Dicks (and yes when I met him I told him that), this story had me under the covers of my bed for weeks when I was a kid.  My first taste of horror and I loved every moment of it.

From the Zombie Rutan controlled bodies to the atmosphere to the killing of all the damn supporting cast, what a body count.  Terrance's lines in the Master that is Tom Baker and the Nymph that is Louise Jamieson makes you want to watch while jumping at every shadow.  This was one of what Doctor Who can be made to do well, a damn spooky story.  Maybe Steven Moffat watched it as well and did the same thing who can know.  Well Steven????

Doctor No.5 Peter Davison

Well apologies to Peter but when I was a kid I was upset when he was made the Doctor, how can anyone replace Tom.  I see fandom hasn't changed that much in 31 years, okay telling you my age if you haven't realised.

The Caves of Androzani

This was Peter's last story and the one where I finally realised he was damn brilliant, and why did I frown all through his term.  The story is damn well written by Robert Holmes another great writer (ok using great too much I know).  A good look into Guerrilla war, its horrors and what tends to lie behind the scenes.
Peter again puts in an emotional and heart warming performance and also shows you his profound acting skills (don't go Peter I forgive you), topped by a supporting cast that makes you wonder why has it taken so long to put these together.

Peri starts to portray all the talents we know and love from her, what can she do next, oops that got to sting girl?

Doctor No.6 Colin Baker

Though the stories in this period started to decline to a point people were wondering how long it’s got left, Colin's performance was never in doubt he was great.

Trial of a Time Lord – Mindwarp

Possibly the best episode story I have ever seen, the last hurrah of Peri.

The story is very well written by Philip Martin, with flashbacks to the Holmes era and the heyday of Doctor Who.  A purely genetic story (okay I’ll stop), we see the dangers of playing with genetic for profit and uncontrolled science, coupled with the slavery of big corporations and the evils of pure capitalism.
Colin played the Doctor to perfection, all his flare and cheek is there, and now can we trust him, oh yes we can but only just.  The supporting cast was well casted and totally committed to making a good watchable story.

I would like to single out Peri played by the gorgeous Nicola Bryant, always played a good role, even with maybe a touch too much screaming. She comes to the fore and makes me cry buckets when.... Ah you’ll have to watch won't you.  Nicola you will always be my Doctor Who Goddess and live in my memories.
Also I can't leave out Brian Blessed, what can I say loud, aggressive and truly brilliant.

Doctor No.7 Sylvester McCoy

I don't blame Sylvester for the stories or the writers, I think at this time the Doctor maybe was not dare I say it Cool.

Battlefield

Okay this may ignite people for this choice but the Brig's last story always brings me to tears.  It is helped that the story is very well written and has the great Jean Marsh and Nicholas Courtney playing major parts.

The story is written by Ben Aaronovitch, and is very well researched, which from the start of the incarnation's reign is a welcomed sight. What more can you long for than a female brigadier, knights in armour and Excalibur.  Explosions all around and a great speech by Sylvester make this one of my all time favourites.

Special recognition has to go to Sophie Aldred as we start to warm to Ace a lot in this story.

Doctor No.8 Paul McGann

Well what do you think I put for this?

The Movie

Okay straight off Paul McGann and cast play good roles, the story maybe needs a lot of work and possibly not as much Americanism.

This is picked as there is no other TV Doctor Who with Paul in.  I spend the film sighing and thinking he is okay the companion is okay but if a series is to be made needs a lot of work.

Goodbye Doctor the dark ages have come.

Doctor No.9 Christopher Eccleston

Its back YES its BACK.

Dalek

You see Dalek fans I picked a Dalek story at last.

This story written by Robert Shearman is one of the best I ever saw, very well written and very very well acted.  The pairing of the Doctor and Rose at this time is very good no damn romance but they spark off each other naturally.
The casting well thought out and the filming is beyond what the old hardcore fans are used to, long may it live.

Billie Piper as Rose is a revelation, but maybe I am looking too much at the screen and following less of the story line.
The Dark ages are finished we have the Doctor back and he is Northern.


Doctor No.10 David Tennant

OOOOO a Scottish Doctor and he is cool.

Midnight

Again maybe a personal choice but this story really freaked me out.  A story which starts very slow and then increases in speed and at the end blasts your mind out of your ears.
David plays the role very well and in this shows his skills as an actor and to me defines his incarnation.  Catherine Tate as Donna is very well cast, funny that.  David Troughton makes a return and is very brilliant.

This is a story that I suggest you don't watch in the Dark.


Doctor No.11 Matt Smith

Now this is a work in progress, this choice may change by Christmas.

The Crimson Horror

Well this story written by the talented Mark Gatiss is brilliant, funny and full of great performances.
The way Matt changes his role is amazing and he is definitely an actor to watch.  Special mentions go to Diana Rigg (always a Goddess), Rachel Stirling, Neve McIntosh (finding myself fancying a lizard woman from the start of time), Catrin Stewart and Dan Starkey (please let him play with his grenades, he has been good).

This list is all my own choices and reflects my own views.  Doctor Who is for everyone and we all have our own favourites.


Photo Source: 
http://whoflix.files.wordpress.com
http://cdn3.whatculture.com
www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho
http://cdn.shadowproclamation.net
www.bbcamerica.com





No comments:

Post a Comment